Sunday, 24 April 2016

Deodorant discarded ~ hand-santizer way better

One for the bathroom
A vast amount of money must be poured into advertising deodorants: we see them so often on our television screen: we are informed of how this one doesn't stain, how that one has motion sensors, whatever that means, and another advertisement informs us that our armpits are ugly.  Really?  It's all such a nonsense and a waste.    

When a veteran of the Christchurch earthquakes told me that she used hand-sanitizer instead of deodorant I decided to give it a go - and have never looked back.  One of the many problems that beset Christchurch residents during the acute earthquake period was the absence of the usual household water supply.  How to keep clean and smelling acceptable was a pressing issue, and this was one of the solutions.

The secret of success is simple: armpit odour is caused by bacteria.  Hand-sanitizer is largely alcohol.  Alcohol kills the bacteria and that's it. 

How I apply it: I wash in whatever way suits me: a wet soapy flannel is just fine if I don't have time for a shower; dry normally; push the pump on the hand sanitizer once to get one blob on my hand, rub my hands together and pat under my arms.  It dries in next to no time and works perfectly.  What could be simpler?

I'm not aware of it causing any of the discoloration of clothing or build up in any residue that is associated with regular deodorants, and no special laundering is required.  Furthermore, it's not perfumed in any way that lasts beyond initial drying - what a relief that is!

Hand-bag sized hand sanitizer
I always carry a little bottle of hand sanitizer in my handbag and can pat on a bit more if needed, which is hardly ever the case.  I've never had any reason to go back to using ordinary deodorant. 

If you try it see how you get on.  If it suits you, great; if not, at least you gave it a go.  Everyone is different.  Products vary too, and some may contain ingredients that suit you better than others. 

Most deodorants have aluminium in them.  I remember years ago looking for a 'natural' deodorant, one that didn't have aluminium in it and found that all the ones I tried were disappointingly ineffective, so at that time I went back to using more commonly stocked deodorants.  I don't recall that hand-sanitizer products even existed in those days. 

Aluminium is very prevalent in the natural environment, and although probably harmless I prefer to avoid using it in this sort of personal product and in cookware.  I'm not aware of it as an ingredient in hand-sanitizer.

In the past Aluminium has been suspected of being linked to Alzheimers Disease.  However, this is no longer considered to be the case.  I have included the link below for those who are interested in reading more about it.  It is on the Canadian Alzheimer Society website, dated 2/10/2016:
Disclaimer: Please note that what I have written here is not medical advice.  Rather, it is what works for me.  I am not a pharmacist or health professional.  Each of us must take responsibility for our own health and welfare.

Another article which discusses the use of hand-sanitiser as a deodorant can be found here:
My other articles about health and the thrifty medicine can be found in on my page:
 .

No comments: