Sunday, 24 April 2016

At last - a new nightie for Ellen ~

I've been looking for nice nighties for my elderly mother, Ellen, for over a year, and at last I have found one.  Here it is: 

I found it in H & J Smith (formerly trading as Arthur Barnetts).  When returning to this shop to look one more time a rack of these nighties immediately caught my attention.

What Ellen wanted was something soft, feminine and practical, which can go through the rest home wash and tumble dryer.  It needs to have long sleeves, be of reasonable length, and easy to get in and out of, a description that this nightie easily meets. 

I picked out two possible sizes and took them to the counter, where the assistant helped me decide what to do.  I told her of my lengthy search and said how pleased I was to find something suitable at last, and she remarked that the other nighties would sell very quickly as they had "nothing else like them". 

I asked if I could take two different sizes for Ellen to try on, since Ellen isn't able to get out to shop, and this was agreed to: I would have to pay for both, but could return the one that didn't fit for a full refund - no problem.  This is different from the shop's published statement of terms and conditions for returns so I was glad I asked.

Ellen was delighted.  She liked the style so much that we decided to see if we could get a second one.  I phoned the shop and asked.  They didn't have another in that size, but their Invercargill shop did and they had it couriered up.  It was just as well to have arranged this when I did as by the time I went in to collect it a few days later it all the others had disappeared.

There should be a message in this for retailers.  Can we have more like these please!  What was so unsuitable about the others?  Mostly it was the colour of the fabric and the patterns on them: most had some or more of the following features: stripes, spots, garish colours such as vivid cyclamen pink, intense turquoise, grey, or black, or had cartoon characters or witticisms printed on them.  Simple elegant nightwear in pale colours with soft restful patterns, if patterns there are - this is what we want.  I know that Ellen and I are not the only ones.  It shouldn't be hard and it isn't.  I am sure that it is just a matter of stockists being more discerning.  Good luck to all my fellow shoppers!   

Readers may recall that I mentioned my search for nighties in my article:
Other articles in the Elderly and dependent series can be found via the link below:
A full list of my articles about shopping and housekeeping can found via this link:
.

No comments: