Sunday, 6 December 2015

Salad delectation ~ capsicum, cucumber, tomato, mint and cheese

This really is one of the nicest salad combinations I know, as well as being easy and packed with the goodness of summer veggies.

It's great to have cucumbers available again.  I love capsicum too, but find it's more digestible if cooked, so the beautiful orange capsicum you see in the photograph has been lightly baked.  Other ingredients are raw.  I devised this salad at the suggestion of a friend who said that Israeli friends of his had introduced him to it.  I don't know how closely my combination resembles theirs but the result is certainly mouth-wateringly delicious as well as satisfying.  And what a feast for the eyes as well!


The full list of ingredients is as follows:  I haven't given quantities as you'll know what looks right to you.
  • Capsicum - chopped and baked for ten or so minutes in a little melted butter and lightly salted
  • Cucumber - chopped.  I peel mine, but probably not necessary to do so.
  • Tomatoes - chopped
  • Cheese, finely chopped, of whatever sort strikes your fancy.  I use Edam, which is low fat, or feta, which is salty and a delicious contrast to the mild fresh crunch of the vegetables.
  • Mint leaves, plenty of them, finely chopped 
  • Cider vinegar and vegetable oil in small and equal amounts, just sufficient to toss the other ingredients.  When I made salad for three I used a teaspoon of each.
  • Salt, a small amount for seasoning. 

This salad combines particularly well with felafels.  My recipe for these tasty savouries can be found here:


To find my other recipes and articles about food you can click on the link below:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This salad looks beautiful, and I bet it's delicious and refreshing. I love mint in salads - so cooling. - Valerie

Leigh Christina Russell said...

Hi Valerie, thank you, and yes, I love mint too. I hope you enjoy your variation of the salad.
By the way, I haven't forgotten about your recipe for the pink iced bun!
:-)
Leigh.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to this recipe I bought and used Feta cheese for the first time - delicious! Thank you again - Valerie.