Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Cashew nuts ~ buy raw and bake deliciously

In my experience raw cashews simply don't taste good.  They do, however, speedily become absolutely delicious if baked, just as they are, for about ten minutes.  The method for doing so could not be easier:
  • heat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius
  • put perhaps half a cup of raw cashew nuts into a baking tin and place it in the oven
  • check after perhaps five minutes and stir the nuts around a bit
  • bake for ten minutes in total, and they are done. 
You do not need oil - nuts have plenty of their own; salt is also not needed, and let's face it, most of us get more than we need of these two ingredients in our diets already. 

I love cashews, and over the years have bought them roasted and salted as a special treat, but only from time to time as they are quite costly.  But they often haven't been as much of a treat as they should have as the quality has been variable, ranging from being a bit soft, not necessarily all that good in flavour, to sometimes having been salted too much.  More recently I began to look at the fine print on packets and found that they were imported from South East Asia.  All this prompted me to consider roasting them myself, and, if I was going to bake them with oil, I wanted it to be oil of my own choosing.  

Starting with no oil at all I found that the very obvious approach of no oil and a bit of steady heat for about ten minutes was all that was needed to make them much more delicious and satisfying than anything you can buy ready cooked and salted.  The salt added to nuts tends to make us want to nibble on more and yet more, whereas roasted nuts without it are perfectly satisfying in moderate amounts. 

Now that I have discovered this I don't know why I haven't been doing this for years! 

Cashew nuts are very nice as snacks by themselves, or on the side of a bowl of stir-fried vegetables and such like.

My other articles about food and cooking can be found by clicking on the link below:

No comments: