Sunday, 4 November 2012

Muesli ~ variation on a simple theme

Most muesli is loaded with sugar; this one has none - and yet how delicious!  I have written about muesli before and am adding this one in which I enlarge on the theme of simple and sugar-free cereals.  In this version the seeds are soaked in hot water rather than toasted as that's what suits my digestion best, and I've left out the dried fruit entirely.  It sounds rather plain, I know, but has become a household favourite.  Here it is:


Ingredients for two servings:
  • 1 cup of rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
  • About a tablespoon of vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds
  • 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds
Method:
Place seeds into a cup or small jug, pour hot water over them and leave them to stand while you toast the rolled oats and coconut.  To do this heat the oil in a pot, add the rolled oats and coconut to it and stir it until it smells lightly toasted.  Take it off the heat.  You may wish to serve it immediately to stop it from cooking any further.  Drain the water from the seeds and spoon them on top of the toasted muesli.  That's it!  

I like mine with home made preserves - that's a jar of apples at the left of my muesli bowl, some banana and a dollop of cottage cheese if I have them, and milk.  Rewi has given a decided thumbs down to the cottage cheese, which I really like, but however you serve it you have the basis for a substantial, flavoursome and nourishing meal.  And it's economical - bingo!

My previous article can be found here:
Other articles about food are listed on the following page:

No comments: