Saturday, 8 January 2011

"Dust if you must"

This morning I dismantled my Christmas tree and decorations, carefully storing them for next time.  I have enjoyed the pretty gold balls and tassels against the greenery but the season has passed and it's time to get on with the new year. 

Once these were removed the room looked dull and I could see it needed a good clean - dust and detritus were everywhere.  Although I like to see the place looking as it should I don't enjoy dusting and will do almost anything else to avoid getting on with it.  Knowing of this reluctance my mother thoughtfully included this poem with her Christmas card:
Dust if you must but wouldn't it be better
To paint a picture, or write a letter,
Bake a cake, or plant a seed;
Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;
Music to hear, and books to read;
Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there
With the sun in your eyes and the wind in your hair;
A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,
This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind
Old age will come and it's not kind
And when you go (and go you must)
You, yourself, will make more dust.
Author unknown
Well thank you, Author Unknown: finding that again in Mum's card cheered me up about it, and now the sitting room is once more clean and welcoming and everything is where it should be.

Readers who enjoy this article may also enjoy my other article:

2 comments:

Dolores said...

Thank you for sharing Dust if You Must, Leigh. I'm certainly not fond of dusting, but just yesterday dusted the wooden blinds in the living room and was astounded by what came off them. I fall back on that old saying (that I have displayed on my fridge) 'dull women have immaculate homes'. By the way, as I write this at 5am, a loud kookaburra laughs at me from the lamppost outside.

Leigh Christina Russell said...

Greetings Dolores, good to hear from you! I think the kookaburra's laugh is well-timed if a little early in the day: housework is best when spiced with a good laugh. I've added above a link to another article on a similar theme: 'Cleaning is glamorous and sexy' True! :-) And ah, when I make my most appalling messes, which one often does when in the creative mode, I recall a very creative friend of Mum's saying that a person who never creates a mess never creates anything. I find it a good sentiment to take refuge in when in 'peak mess'.