Thursday, 8 October 2009

A cliff-hanging bird watcher studies fairy prions

In mid September we had Conservation Week, which brought a welcome series of wildlife stories in the local paper, the Otago Daily Times. I particularly enjoyed this one about Coastal Otago Conservation Award finalist, Graeme Loh. His self-assigned project seems so unlikely that I imagine his absorption reflects considerable curiosity as well as love. Why else would you hang over a cliff in the complete dark and exert yourself to count, band, measure and build nesting boxes for wild birds which no one else knew were there. I love his comment: "They seem to like everything I've done for them. I can tell a new bird in a nesting box as it will bite me. They seem to know me". Delightful! Here is the article.

No comments: